The third Christmas we were together (2003) Leo gave me a pair a diamond stud earrings. As I was opening the box, my heart was palpitating because I was sure it was an engagement ring. It was almost a relief to see two petite, classy, diamond stud earrings. Since that night I have worn those earrings everyday. If you think about it, as I did today, I have experienced quite a lot since then, all in my diamond studs... Leo graduated and we bought a house. I had them on the night Leo and I were engaged, and on our wedding day. I was wearing them the day I found out I was going to be a mom, and they were the lone piece of jewelry I was wearing when my sweet son came into this world.
I started thinking about all this today because this morning, I COULD NOT FIND THEM. Now, I have a habit of taking them off in random places and haphazardly leaving them lying around. For example, they have been in the kitchen window sill, on the desk, on Beau's dresser, by the bathroom sink, on the night stand....hotel rooms, hospital rooms, dressing rooms... But they are always there. Until now.
Our bedroom and bathroom are a dusty mess because we have been redoing our bathroom. Everything is out of place. I was 99% sure I remembered putting them on my nightstand last night before I went to bed. I searched the table, under the lamp and the knick knacks, and down on the carpet. After a while I came to terms with the fact that ,this time, my carelessness finally caught up with me. I got so mad at myself, especially as all these thoughts and memories were rushing through my head. They were gone, though, and I had to comfort myself with thoughts of upgrades. I dreaded telling Leo and spent the day running dialogue in my head how I was going to break the news. I knew he wouldn't be mad... just disappointed at my carelessness...and I was sure he had a "responsibility" lecture stored up just for this occasion.
As we were sitting talking, spending the evening together, I finally mustered up the courage to tell him I had lost the earrings he gave me five years ago. I cringed...and waited for it...
"Oh, I put them in your drawer this morning."
Oh. Nevermind.
1 comment:
I loved this post... but we weren't "friends" yet so I didn't make a comment at the time. Well actually, we were facebook friends but not blogger friends yet. Anyways, loved it. ;-)
Post a Comment