Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Battle of the Sexes

That's it. I've developed a theory today. My boys are in cahoots. Leo and Beau have ganged up on me. In fact, I think Leo has convinced Beau to do his dirty work. In the following points I will list the evidence that supports my theory:

* * Today I was desperate for Beau to take a nap. In the past few weeks he has decided he no longer has use for nap time and would rather stay up and fuss because he is so tired. Well, this is just torture for us both. He was having a particularly fussy afternoon and after bouncing around the house "shhhh"ing him for about half and hour and letting him "cry it out" for a while on top of that, the only person who was ready for a nap was me. I had read several books on soothing babies before Beau got here, and I had read a lot on white noise and have used it a few times to get Beau to sleep at night (using the roar from the big floor fan). I put Beau in his swing (screaming) and proceed to vacuum the downstairs. He quieted down the second I started and by the time I had finished, he was out. As I was putting the vacuum away I thought to myself how I never would have vacuumed if it hadn't thought it would quiet Beau down.

Light bulb over my head just went off. Leo will love hearing about how his son just wouldn't be happy until his wife cleaned the house once in a while.

* *A couple weeks ago Beau and I were in Macy*s. I was looking for an outfit suitable for him to be baptized in. (Which is next to impossible, by the way. Cute little girl clothes are EVERYWHERE. Where are the boys? I have become increasingly frustrated with the boy selection just about every place I go...but that's a whole 'nother blog for another time.) Beau was awake, but in a pleasant mood so after I purchased his outfit I strolled on over to the women's section. I was eyeing a particularly cute summer dress when meltdown occurred. I had gotten what I had gone for, so we just left. Later that night I was telling Leo about our day:

"You should thank your son because if he had not started screaming I might have come home with a new summer wardrobe."

-Gasp-

Come to think of it, he does the same thing in Target. We need diapers? Happy as a clam...until...I happen into the shoes, makeup, or magazines. Ugh. Rush through check-out and buy the stupid diapers. He gives me just time to buy what I made the trip for, but forget looking at things impulsively. His dad would be so proud.

* *We (usually) go to the 8:45 service at our church. There are more seats, for one, we get out and still have the whole day ahead of us, and Beau is usually cooperative at this time of the day. He's a morning guy for sure. Now, we have gotten through many a Sunday without incidence UNTIL they started serving donuts, coffee and juice during (for the people coming in for Sunday School) and after the service. Now, Beau so much as whimpers and Leo is grabbing him and is out so fast. I know where he is going. Don't you? He'll come back 20 minutes later with coffee breath and powdered sugar all over his fingers. Don't you wish all couples with small children were this polite? HA.

Using your son to get out of church and into donuts. Low Leo. Low.

* *Final exhibit. Leo has complained about two outfits that I have put on my child. He claimed they were too "cutesy" for his son. Fast forward half a day... both times... Beau has explosions in both of them. If you have read previous posts, yes, it was his Baptism outfit and what he wore to B's funeral. I can argue with my husband, but I won't argue with a poo stain. You win.

In honor of this tag-team effort to drive mom to the loony bin I will post pictures of Leo and Beau. Together. Probably conspiring their next shenanigan.




I know you can't see Beau very well, but I love how Leo has him all bundled up but his little bare foot is sticking out.

No comments: