Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Morning After the Morning After...

November 4th was the day I have been waiting for for months now. I have eagerly watched results from the primaries. Hung on every word for both the DNC and RNC. Watched countless hours of cable news stations and read political blogs. Scrutinized poll numbers and rationalized electoral maps. And finally...it got here.

I have been slightly obsessed with politics since I voted for the first time in a Presidential Election in 2000. I think it all goes back to my love of theatre. And nothing is more theatrical than a Presidential Campaign.

...and for that matter the days following a very intense election...

I have such strong convictions about what I believe is the best course for this nation, especially now that I have a family. It really all boils down to this: I believe in limited government and privatization. I believe in self-responsibility. I have strong, traditional, Christian values. I believe in the free-market and capitalism. I think low taxes leads to job growth, and therefore creates prosperity for everyone. This does NOT, in any way, mean I am anti-poor, anti-minority, anti-gay, anti-woman, or anything else the liberals want to label me as. Especially anti-American.

After all, isn't it our different opinions and our RIGHT to express these opinions what we should be celebrating about our great nation? However, I have never seen, or experienced emotions so high. I personally have been attacked on Facebook for stating my political beliefs on my own page. And I am actually hesitant to post this blog because I have heard of another blogger being defiled simply for posting pictures of her daughter in an elephant t-shirt. Come on people! The hypocrisy is running rampant. How can you claim I am un-American and then attack me personally for merely stating my political opinion? I have even been very careful in my words not to use aggressive tones or demeaning rhetoric toward the other side. I have not attacked any one's family, lifestyle, or beliefs. Just stated my own. Which I believe is my Constitutional right.

We are so blessed to live in a country where we can be so open about what our beliefs are, different they may be. And, hopefully, at the end of the day, we can all sit down and have beer together, and say we are better for surrounding ourselves with people who think differently from us.

You are welcome to comment...however please refrain from attacking. You can state your case without belittling, mud-slinging, or name calling. This goes for both sides. I am open to a civilized conversation.

And for once in my life I can say I'm tired of the drama.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree sis. It is hard to be at Candler right now for me. hah. I love you.

Robyn said...

I will have a beer with you anytime, no matter what you believe! I agree that we are lucky to be citizens of a nation where we can all express our opinions...the only thing that gets me fired up is hearing about either party condescending to the other, because both sides have valid points. The only question is, what will we do for entertainment, now that all the political drama is over? What am I saying? It's never over...