Friday, February 12, 2010

My First Baby: All About Beau

Watch out, ladies.


My baby is turning two on Monday. I just can't believe it.
One week from yesterday this little boy's world is going to be turned upside-down. For now, all I was to do is scoop him up and snuggle him and kiss him until his cheeks fall off.

This boy provides so much joy in my life. I literally laugh all day long. He loves choo choo trains, cars, animals and rocks. He loves playing outside. Sometimes he'll just stand at the back door and say "outside" over and over. Everytime I look at him I can't believe he's grown into such a little boy. And such a stereotypical little boy at that. Energy and Destruction should be this kid's middle name. It really sunk in how grown he is last week as we got him officially registered to start preschool in August. I was literally fighting back tears. I'm going to need a stiff one the day I have to drop him off for his first day. Who's in for a 9 am toddy?

Like I mentioned in a previous post we got Beau all moved to his new room over Christmas/New years. He is doing great and loves it. When we first moved him, I was sleeping in there with him in the other twin bed, thinking that would help and ease the transition. Whenever he would get out of bed (which was up to 60 times a night...ugh!) I would just get up and put him back.  No eye contact, no talking. Oh yeah, this went on for nap time, too. Torture for anyone, especially a large 7-8 month pregnant girl. One night about a week or two in, I eventually got so worn out and frustrated with him I laid him down, put up a baby gate, and left the room. Low and behold, the boy went to sleep and didn't move until I saw his little angel face in the morning. Turns out, he just wanted some privacy. Goes to bed like a champion. Me too.

Also, over the past couple months we have started speech therapy at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I wasn't really on board at first because: 1) it is INSANELY expensive and 2) I was not convinced he really needed it. (still not, really...) But there is no denying that he has made progress. Plus our sweet therapist, Rowena, has really taught me and Leo a lot of things, too. We started out with a little bit of sign language, along with spoken words, and I'll tell you...the first time you see your almost-two-year-old sign and say "more"... it was really one of my proudest moments. Now, he is pointing to things we pass in the grocery store and naming them all on his own. He is still technically "behind", but everyday is getting better and better. It is so great to finally hear that sweet voice!

This boy may eventually be an athlete, but he just loves loves anything musical. He sings all the time. He could hum recognizable tunes before I ever heard him speak a word.  He loves my mom's piano and can keep a beat way better than his father could ever hope to... You should see his dance moves. Hysterical. One night we were out with our great friends the Yeagers at a Mexican restaurant. There was a mariachi band and Beau was shaking his little booty to the music. So funny.

I wish I could sit here and recount all the things that make Beau, Beau. Like the way he impersonates Cookie Monster when he meets a new friend...like it's some kind of awesome opening line or something. Or like when I caught him standing on Leo's laptop bag stealing cookies from the kitchen counter. Or the way he separates his broken crayons from the whole ones everytime we color. Like when he cracks up everytime he burps...

Everyday I wake up to Beau singing in his bed. And it starts my day with a smile. He is funny, quirky, and the sweetest boy a mommy could hope for. He is going to be a great big brother and I am so excited to see how he embraces this new role in his life.

No Valentine's day will ever pass where I won't think back on that day in 2008. Labor. All day. 24 hours. Long. Hard. Labor. But sooooooooo worth it at 6:57am the next day. I fell in love like never before.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You could have given me a heads-up on the tear-jerker! He is an amazing little guy, you should both be very proud.

Brittany said...

ok, now that I am in tears!! Precious!!! The grow up so fast! BTW...I cried the boys entire first day of school...it was a hard day, but when I saw how much they loved it, I was so glad we put them there and you will be too!!

awalton said...

such a sweet post. Happy Birthday Beau!!