Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One Year Run Down...with a side of melt down.

Yesterday morning Beau had his one year check-up at the doctor's office. I ALWAYS schedule morning appointments, as somehow, someway, someone with my DNA is a morning person. It just always makes it easier to do things in a time slot when you're pretty sure your kid is well rested, well fed, and ready to negotiate any sort of tantrums or fits of rage.

Beau has always been so good at the doctor's. He would only whimper a short minute after he got his shots, and was really his charming self the rest of the time. The nurses found him to be cooperative. Our pediatrician impressed with his his social skills. The receptionists LOVE him and fight over who gets to flirt with him as we are checking out. So in general, not a bad experience.



UNTIL YESTERDAY.



I don't know what it is about turning one, but suddenly, the kid has memories of the pediatrician's. Now, the last time we had been there was about 2 months ago to get the second dose of his flu shot. And he had done wonderfully. Today, we walk into the little room they put us in, he looks around, and decides no thanks. His eyes get really big and started to well up. He looked at me like, "Please, don't do this to me. If you love me, you won't". The whimpers started as I was stripping him down to his Pamper. The nano-second I sat him on the scale to be weighed, all his emotions came hurling out in wails and screams. Getting weighed. Thrashing around and shrieking on the scale. Although, I have to say, I have had similar situations myself late in pregnancy when those evil witches "had" to weigh me and make record of it. But I digress.


The melt down continued as the poor nurse measured his head and height. It continued on the way back into the room. As the nurse came and got us for the vision test. During the vision test. On the way back to the room. As we waited for the doctor to come in. As I was trying to read the doctor's lips as she was talking to me (I certainly couldn't hear her). By the time she is examining him he is in full break-down. Ear-piercing shrieks that would break your heart. Crocodile tears streaming down his blood shot face. Full body convulsions. I'm sure all the other kids who were hearing our little outburst echoing down the halls and through the walls were nervously wondering what torturous activity was being done to that kid, and hoping that they would not be next. And not once had the first person even whispered the word s-h-o-t.


Then he got three of them.


He really lost it. Like all the anticipation and build up had payed off and it was as terrible as he had remembered. Thanks a lot mom. I begged you to get me out of here and look. Look. Told you so.



We finally got home and Beau took a three hour nap.
I needed a cold shower and a hard drink.
All before lunch.


***********************************************************

One year stats:

weight: 22 pounds 8 ounces

height: 28 and three quarter inches


Currently Leo is doing round-offs and back-hand-springs because we are finally weaning off powdered gold, er, I mean formula. It's all "big boy" food from here on out.

I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of Beau's forward facing car seat! He hit those magic numbers of being over 20 pounds and one year old. I can't wait to be able to see him in the car and hand him things to shut him up, ahem, I mean, entertain him. (PS. Tip for other moms: look online for big baby purchases like these toddler car seats. RipOffs R Us had the one we ordered for $275 and not even the color we wanted. We found the same one online for $209. Free shipping.)

Tooth watch 2009: Still that lone little ivory. Not even an incling that another is trying to poke through.

Walking, running, jumping, dancing (he has his dad's moves, for sure...poor guy). He has this armchair I ordered him for his birthday, and one of his favorite things to do is run full speed and dive into it.

New annoying skill: taking his own diaper off. So far its only when I'm trying to change him...but this might present to be a problem in the future.

So that's pretty much the one year summary....

I will now be accepting applications for someone to take him to his 15 month check up in May...

2 comments:

awalton said...

Aww, poor thing. :( Doesn't it just make your heart hurt when they get so upet? At least it's over and ya'll don't have to go back for a few more months. I loved all your decorations and cakes for Beau's birthday too! So creative!! Can't wait to see you and Beau next Friday when Randi comes in town, right?

Jaime said...

My mother SWEARS she had to duct tape my sister into her diapers for 3 months...they called her Houdini. Just in case-Duct tape can be purchased in bulk for a reasonable price via the web :-)