Monday, February 16, 2009

The Best Year of My Life....so far


Me and my ONE YEAR OLD!


Last Sunday Beau turned one. A whole year. Geez Louise. Were does the time go? And what does every one year old need? An over the top party of course! A Dr. Seuss inspired party with 30 of our closest family and friends!
For those of you who don't know me, parties really get my juices flowing. All of a sudden I am taken over by the instantaneous urge to bake and craft. A couple trips to Hobby Lobby later and...

These were the invites I sent out. Thanks to Lori and Katie who tirelessly cut out hams and plates. And when I found one that was not good enough, and made them do it again, they didn't curse me...at least not out loud. It takes a special person to put up with my pickiness.


Well, I guess you remember the cake catastrophe? (If not, please read the previous post) This is what I came up with after that. 2 large 3 layer cakes and Beau's small smash cake. Thanks to my good friend Jaime who gave me cake decorating lessons and let me use all her fancy cake equipment. That is a "Green Eggs and Ham" made out of fondant on top of the cake with the circles. I had originally made a "Cat in the Hat" hat for the top of the other cake. But I scrapped that idea when each one I tried to make had an uncanny resemblance to a certain part of the male anatomy. A striped one. But one none the less. (Maybe my calling is making cakes for bachelorette partys...hmmm). Anywho...continuing...The yellow "flower" I made out of tissue paper and a styrofoam ball and some floral wire. It is supposed to be the flower from "Horton Hears a Who". I used a couple Seuss books as part of this center piece, and more books were used on other tables, too.


I also came up with little rhymes Seuss-style. On the buffet, there was one next to the cookies I made for guest gifts (in cellophane bags with a little blue satin ribbon, I might add). It said, "Coming to our party was oh-so-sweet, please enjoy this tasty treat!".

Ok. Ok. Enough showing off how cute and crafty I am. Thank you for letting me have my moment. I put a lot of work into it...

Anyway, it was lovely day, which I am thankful for, because I was concerned about everyone having enough room to move around. People were able to sit outside (and all I had to do was lure them out with the beer cooler). Beau was not too happy that his favorite friend (the cake monster) was also banned to the backyard. But I wasn't going to risk another disaster.

The annihilation of the smash cake: At first Beau wasn't so sure. He just kind of sat and looked at the cake. Then he put his finger in. Then his hand. It took him a hot minute to warm up to the idea of putting his hands all in it. Once he did, it was on. Although, I think in the end he didn't get too much IN his mouth.

Leo and the Birthday boy (after a quick bath) opening presents.My sister Lori and her boyfriend Matt enjoying some yummy cake.Busted! Me-maw is caught letting Baxter lick her plate. It was a wonderful day, and a wonderful memory...if not for Beau, for me. Who knows, maybe in the distant future, Beau will be able to step into his time-travel-space-jet and visit his first birthday party. I don't think he'd be disappointed.

2 comments:

Mary Kay Andrews said...

Heather--you take GREAT pix.You should seriously consider doing this for a living! You and Beau and Baxter are the cutest.Also Leo.

Anonymous said...

We loved the party. You did a great job! And good news. I thought I was taking pictures but my camera was set to movies. Sooo . . I'll be emailing you a little movie I put together of the great cake smashing. Aunt Jamie