Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy 1/2 Beau!




A look back:


February 8th...my due date. No sign of labor. For two weeks now I had been 2cm dilated so I was certain it would be any minute. February 9th, 10th, 11th... nothing. I was doing everything in my power to get my water to break. I walked more that last week than I had my entire pregnancy... ok thats a bad example...but I walked A LOT those last few days. I even tried the eggplant parmesan at Scalinis. (If you click on their site you can see the "Eggplant Parmigiana Babies"). Finally my doctors decided to induce me on the 14th. Valentines Day. He warned me being induced was like running a marathon...I had no idea...


We went in at 6:30 am and I was hooked up to every machine possible by 7:00 am. Not to mention sporting the latest in hospital couture (backless was "in" for spring...). Pitocin and other various liquids pumping through my veins. I spent the day chatting with visitors and watching bad daytime TV. Every hour or so the nurse came in and cranked up the IV. I finally decided to get my epidural around 8pm. I was terrified of that needle, but wow, it was worth it. (Especially because in the end I would have had to have one anyway...) I reached 10 cm around midnight, but Beau hadn't dropped enough in my pelvis to start pushing. They patted my head and told me to try and rest. HA. Granted, the epidural takes away the pain...but the pressure was so intense. Plus I was SO hungry. I had had a bowl of oatmeal at 5:30 that morning but nothing but ice since. I rolled around in the bed for the next three hours. 3am. Pushing. Exhausted. Delirious. Starving. Beau actually ended up being face up which makes everything much more difficult. So the nurse has me switching positions pushing...trying to get him to turn. Three hours later they decide it wasn't going to happen and they prep me for surgery. Ugh. 24 hours of labor for NOTHING. My C-section went fine...although I don't really remember it. I remember my vision being blurry because I was so tired. I remember staring at the OR lights because they had a colorful haze around them. I remember my doctor showing Leo my intestines and bladder (because at this point Leo has left my side and is basically hovering over my open abdomen like a science project) and thinking "hmmm...thanks guys...don't worry about me...ya'll just play all you want...I'll just be laying right here when you decide you need me." I remember hearing Beau cry the first time...and everything else disappeared. 6:53 am February 15th, my life changed.


Here we are. A half of a year later.


2/15 : 8 lbs 7 oz, 21 inches

8/15: 18 lbs 9 oz, 26 3/4 inches (official stats per our doctor appointment this morning)


Beau is nothing short of a miracle. He has been so healthy and has reached and surpassed all developmental milestones. His personality is so laid back and he charms the ladies everywhere we go. Sometimes I get annoyed because so many people talk to us, especially if I'm running late (which, since having Beau, is a regular day...) I have to smile and remember to count my blessings. I have had him on an eating/sleeping schedule since the day he was born...and I'm not saying this is RIGHT way (I believe different methods work for different mothers/babies...) It's just something that has worked for us. He has slept through the night since he was six weeks old. He smiles and laughs all the time, he is always playing and trying to perfect new skills. I'm convinced our next baby is going to be a terror because Beau is SO good. Leo and I often joke that it is because we are such awesome parents that Beau is the way he is...but I'm sure its just his nature...and the Grace of God...


Ok...I'm getting a little weepy looking back on the last half of a year...


I'm looking forward to all the amazing things to come and can't wait to share them with you.


February 2008


August 2008

I took these in his room today



No comments: